Sunday, January 30, 2011

Creamy white wine chicken with Roasted red pepper potatoes

Creamy White Wine Chicken & Roasted Red Pepper Potatoes


This particular Sunday has me wanting a beautifully orchestrated Sunday dinner, but to put it simply ... I don't want to be in the kitchen all day to do it!  I love when it is overcast outside and cool, but these are also the days that make me want to be lazy, throw my pjs on, climb back into bed and watch movies- but as we all know ... this is not the life of a Mommy!
I convinced myself that if I spent about 45 minutes prepping for dinner this afternoon, then I could leave dinner to cook and get to enjoying my day with the kiddos.  My house was oddly quiet this afternoon as Cole was at church with Grammie and Papa, Jeremy was at work and Braydon was napping ... Braydon woke up super sleepy this morning so the verdict isn't out quite yet if he was catching up on sleep from late nights this week or if he is starting to get sick-either way he needed to be sleeping, so we stayed home from church to make sure he didn't share whatever it was in nursery!!
SO, considering I could knock dinner out quickly with no distractions, I did.  I started heating my crock pot on low and put in 3 chicken breasts.  In a bowl I combined about 1 1/2 c of white wine with a few dashes each of thyme and rosemary, with some crushed garlic.  When I cook with wine, I use TJ's 2 buck chuck ... it gives it the desired flavor for cooking, but you don't have to spend a ton doing it.


After mixing the wine with the seasonings, I poured it over the chicken in the crock pot.  After looking at the consistency of the broth, I decided I wanted a creamier texture- I then added a can of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup to the chicken as well.  Perfect!  Now I am done with my chicken.  I covered the crock pot and let it cook until we were ready to eat.

I wanted to have a side to enjoy with our chicken and decided to use a medley of potatoes.  This idea didn't seem like it would take too long to make, but once I got started I found myself creating more and more steps.  By this time, Cole had returned from his church and lunch date with my parents- and of course he says, What are you making Mommy? Can I help??, Absolutely!

Whenever I use fresh fruits and vegetables, I use this wash on them ... another TJ find ...



After a good wash, I sliced my potatoes up to make roasted herb potatoes.

I began by making a marinade for my potatoes.  In a bowl I combined 1/2 c olive oil, 1/2 c balsamic vinegar, 1/4 c chopped onion, 3 tsp thyme, 3 tsp rosemary, 1 tbsp garlic powder, and a few dashes of red pepper flakes.


Cole helped me mix the marinade up while I began cutting the potatoes into cubes and wedges.  Once the potatoes were cut, Cole placed them in the bowl of marinade.


Once all the potatoes have been cut, mix the potatoes well with the marinade and then prepare a baking sheet- coating it well with olive oil.


We then took a strained spoon and transferred the potatoes to the oiled baking sheet.  Be sure to cover the baking sheet in a single layer to allow ALL the potatoes to bake.  Make sure to also leave the remaining marinade in the bowl- you will use this again.


Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and when it is ready, bake the potatoes for an hour.

While we waited for the potatoes to cook, we played SUPER HEROS!!

To play super heros correctly, you need your capes!

Getting ready to jump!

Cole showing his Mr. Incredible muscles


Cole's (Mr. Incredible's) action shot of him flying!  

After the potatoes have baked for an hour, we then returned the potatoes to the reserved oil marinade from before and tossed the potatoes again.

If you are making these potatoes a while before your planned meal, you can refrigerate the potatoes at this time, and then when ready to eat, transfer them back to a baking sheet to cook again at 400 degrees for another 20 minutes, which is what we did today.  If you are planning to have your meal within the hour, skip the refrigeration and go straight to tossing the potatoes in the marinade again, transferring back to the baking sheet and cooking for the additional 20 minutes. 

Once the potatoes are tender and golden they are ready!

We served our roasted red peppered potatoes with our white wine chicken and some lemon.  We had a great, early FAMILY Sunday dinner when Daddy got home from work.


We are finishing our evening with some quiet playtime in the playroom before the boys head to an early bedtime tonight!












No comments:

Post a Comment