Saturday, January 29, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Waffles


Apple Cinnamon Waffles

I thought to try a new spin on traditional waffles and kick them up a notch. As Jeremy and the boys built their train tracks in the family room  I began to collect the ingredients for the waffles.


After I gathered everything, I peeled and grated the apples.  I wanted a faint apple taste, but I didn't want an apple crunch to the waffles.  Rather than trying to finely slice the apples, I decide to use a cheese grater and shred them and set them aside.


I then combined 2 c flour, 3 tbsp sugar, 2 tsp baking powder and sifted them together to set aside.

Now it was time to use our eggs.  I used the egg whites and the yolks, but not together.  To get started, have a bowl ready with 2 eggs and an egg separator.


If you don't have a tool to separate your egg yolk from your egg white, you can use the egg shell itself to toss the yolk back and forth, once the shell has been cracked.

In the bowl, you will separate the yolk from the whites.


Once your whites have been separated, place the yolks in a separate bowl- do this with both eggs.


Set aside the yolks for a moment, while you beat the whites.


Continue beating the whites until they have a thick, frothy texture.


Now it is time to switch ... set the whites aside and beat your yolks ...


Once the yolks are beaten, pour in 1 1/4 c buttermilk to be blended.


Once the buttermilk and yolk are combined, we begin to pull everything together- add the dry ingredients to the be mixed, and then add the vegetable oil in as well.


Once the batter had begun to form, I then folded in my egg whites and cinnamon. 


The last ingredient to add was the shredded apples, which I stirred in ...


Once my batter was ready, I heated my waffle iron and poured my batter on to bake.


Bake your waffle according to your waffle iron- mine is a belgium waffle iron, so I flip my waffle iron half way through.


I prefer my waffles golden- so at this point, my waffle is done.  


Top with your favorites and enjoy!































1 comment:

  1. * ah, I forgot to tell you how much oil and cinnamon!! I used 1/3 c oil and 2 tsp cinnamon

    ReplyDelete