Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pesto and Alfredo Meatballs with Garlic Bread

Pesto and Alfredo Meatballs with Garlic Bread

Traditionally meatballs are tagged to different flavors such as swedish, sweet and sour, or in a tomato sauce- all are great, but I wanted something more unique.  As usual, I perused my pantry, freezer and frig to find out what I had on hand.  These were the base ingredients that I had to work with- turkey meatballs, parmesan cheese, pesto and cream cheese.


It was a rainy day yesterday so I didn't mind my crock pot being on- so to get started I placed my turkey meatballs in my crock pot on high with one chopped onion and about a cup of chopped bell peppers.  Now I need to make my alfredo sauce.  If you have a jar of pre-made alfredo pour that on top of your meatballs, if not follow my steps to creating your own sauce.

In a saucepan melt 1/2 c butter.  Once it is melted, add 8 ounces cream cheese and 2 tsp garlic powder, stirring well and consistently. 


Once well incorporated, stir in 2 c milk, 6 ounces of parmesan and a few dashes of pepper.  Stir and let it sit for a few moments to thicken. 


 Once you have achieved your desired consistency, pour over your meatballs in your crock pot.


Braydon was hanging out with me while I was making dinner and he was so smily!  I could resist taking his picture to show YOU what I was blessed to see while in the kitchen!!


Once you have poured your alfredo sauce into your crock pot, add an additional 1/4 c of milk.  Stir your onions, peppers, meatballs, milk and alfredo all together and cover.  Let cook on high for about 4 hours.  

I made a trip to Trader Joe's yesterday and in my search for new items and flavors, I came across this new wine.  We enjoyed this over dinner and it was a great light wine that complemented our dinner's flavors.


About 15 minutes before dinner was served, I add 3/4 of the pesto sauce jar ( 4 ounces) to my crock pot and stirred it well to makes sure it was well distributed.  While letting it cook, I made my garlic bread.  This garlic bread is tried and true, never any complaints ... best of all it is quick and easy!!

I used a loaf of par baked bread for Trader Joe's.  Slice the loaf in half and thinly coat it with butter.  Then apply another thin coat of crushed garlic.  Finally, top with some quattro formaggio cheese.  Set your oven to broil.  Place your two halves of bread in the oven for 6 or 7 minutes.  Pour your glass of wine, slice your bread and serve your meatballs alone or over fresh boiled noodles. 



Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment