Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Vegetable Potato Soup with Chedder Cheese Biscuits

Vegetable Potato Soup with Chedder Cheese Biscuits

Jeremy and I have agreed to try new things.  Well, let me be more specific ... I love all fruits and vegetables and Jeremy runs quickly from anything with color.  On the other hand, I don't like red meats or fish.  As you can probably imagine ... it is difficult to please the masses when one of us likes the complete opposites of the other.  Our compromise was that when I cook at home, Jeremy try whatever it is that I make, even if it has COLOR!  My compromise to him was that I would try meats and fish when we eat out.  Seemed fair to me ... needless to say, we don't eat out much so Jeremy is trying more than I am!

Last night I went pretty bold in the veggie department.  In fact, I thought that if Jeremy were to actually see what I was adding to this soup, he would NEVER eat it ... thankfully he saw the end product and LOVED it!! It is actually one of my favorite renditions of potato soup yet ... be warned though, it has a LOT of veggies in it! 


I got started with my bag of  potatoes and this Healthy 8 Chopped Veggie Mix for TJs.  This mix has broccoli, carrots, green and red cabbage, jicama, green bell peppers, radish and celery.  

I peeled and cubed my potatoes, 10 in all and added the veggies and potatoes to my crock pot.  I then added 3 tbsp chicken bouillon, 6 c water, 2 tbsp parsley, 1/2 tsp pepper and stirred it all together.  The colors were absolutely beautiful! I left the crock pot to cook on high for about 5 hours.  After the 5th hour, I used my hand held mixer and pureed the potatoes and veggies into the broth and I added a 12 ounce can of evaporated milk.  I then mixed together again and let it cook for another hour on high.

In the last hour, I prepared some cheddar cheese biscuits.

I preheated my oven to 450 degrees.  Mix together 2 c flour, 2 tsp baking powder and a dash of salt.  Then use a pastry cutter and cut into the flour 1/2 c of butter.  Then add 1 cup of shredded cheese and 2/3 c milk.  Stir together with a fork.

I oiled a baking pan and dropped spoonfuls of the batter onto the pan and baked for 14 minutes.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment