Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper & Spinach Sausage with Gnocchi

Roasted Red Pepper & Spinach Sausage with Gnocchi

While on my last trip to Costco I was walking the isles trying to find a new protein item to try this month.    I had decided that I would go with a chicken sausage that I could use as a topping to pizza, incorporate in pastas and experiment with ... I came across this roasted red pepper and spinach chicken sausage and it was amazing!

I anticipated making a larger meal so that Jeremy could have some for lunches later in the week, so I decided to cook one of the three packages it came in- a total of 4 sausages.

To begin I heated my pan on the stove with some olive oil, 1/2 c of chopped onion and 1 cup of chopped  red, yellow and green peppers.  Once they were caramelized, I added the slices chicken sausage and lowered the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

As my sausage was cooking, I began boiling water for my gnocchi.  I added 2 packages of gnocchi and I let it cook.  Be careful when boiling gnocchi- it cooks fast and if not watched and drained in enough time, the pasta dumplings become mushy.

As the gnocchi boiled, I added a tomato basil bisque (19 oz) to my sausage.  If you don't have a tomato bisque to add, create your own ... this bisque was a combination of tomato puree, chicken stock, diced tomatoes, cream, squash, basil and onion.  If you want to go even more simple- just add a can of tomato sauce and flavor with spices to your liking.

I topped the bisque with a bit more basil for flavoring and on low heat I let the bisque simmer with the peppers, onion and sausage.  Once the sauce thickened, I drained my gnocchi and added it to the pan to cook all together.  Within 5 minutes I plated the dish, topped with parmesan cheese and served it!

No comments:

Post a Comment