Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sour Cream & Leek Mashed Potatoes & Homemade BBQ sauce for a Crock Pot Chicken


Scooter's Jungle!

Today is the first day of four that Jeremy is off.  Last night when he got home from work, he brought me a treat, so excited to try this out!!  It will be so fun making popsicles in 7 minutes, and I am loving how creative we will be with it!



Cole was equally excited ... but then he was more excited about finally getting to look in his mailbag.  Cole actually woke up this morning saying, It's morning Mommy, can I go see what my surprise is??  I told him after his bath we could venture downstairs to see what his note for the day was.


He peeked inside his bag and said, I don't know what my note says, but I see its on my favorite colored paper ... GREEN!


When we read where we were going ... Scooter's Jungle, he was beyond excited.  We have noticed a trend- Braydon could care less about what notes might be in his mailbag, he just wants to know what treat he will be getting and where he will be going ... I can't say that I blame him!


Off we went to Scooter's Jungle for toddler time ...



























After an hour and a half of playing with toys, going down the 23 foot slide and zip lining, it was nap time ... well, at least for Braydon.  

We came home for lunch and I started some dinner, anticipating being gone later in the afternoon.  I decided to put some chicken breasts in the crock pot and make a BBQ sauce to have it marinate in while we were gone.

For the sauce, I added a can of tomato sauce, 3 tbsp brown sugar, 1/4 c mustard, 1 c of BBQ sauce, 1/4 c honey, 1/3 c chopped onion, a few dashes of red pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tbsp garlic powder, 2 tsp oregano and a few dashes of 21 seasoning salute from TJs.  I mixed it all up and then poured it over the chicken to cook in the crock pot- perfect for leaving while we left for a bit.  

We then headed over to my parent's house to see how my Mom was doing post surgery ... it was great to see her- and the boys and their Grammie were able to visit for a bit, just what they both needed!

Time to head back home and finish up dinner.  Last year, Jeremy and I hosted Thanksgiving dinner for my side of the family and we made sour cream and leek mashed potatoes ... ever since that meal, these have been my new favorite mashed potatoes.



I picked up a 3 pound bag of potatoes ...

I peeled them and then sliced the potatoes into small pieces.  I placed the potato pieces in a large pot of water that had been brought to a boil.  Leave the potatoes to cook in the boiling water until they are tender ... it took about 40 minutes.  At this point, drain the water from the pot.  

While the potatoes are boiling, heat a frying pan and melt 1/2 c butter or oil.  If you have prepared leeks that are already cleaned and cut add them to the melted butter.  If you have leek stalks, wash and cut 2 stalks ... then add them to the melted butter.  Let the leeks cook until tender and allow them to brown slightly. 

Return the potatoes to the pot and on low heat add the buttered leeks.  With a potato masher, mash the potatoes thoroughly, making sure the leek and their buttery juices are well incorporated.  Add 1 c sour cream and stir well.  At this time I usually add seasonings of pepper and garlic.  I prefer a creamier texture, so I used my hand held mixer and blended the potatoes into a thick, creamy texture.

Once my potatoes were done, I served our chicken with the mashed potatoes and a side of the BBQ sauce for dipping.  We ate before I could even think to take a picture!

I'm looking forward to making myself a cup of coffee here at 8 at night-I am so tired today!-simply to enjoy the company of my husband once the kiddos get to bed.  Enjoy your evenings!!








No comments:

Post a Comment