Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Chicken Parmesan

Chicken Parmesan

Chicken Parmesan is amongst Jeremy's favorite meals.  Until last night, I had never ventured into making the dish-perhaps I felt intimidated by the meal knowing how liked it was, I feared that I wouldn't be able to replicate the time Jeremy had tasted it best in a restaurant years ago.  It was time to overcome my fear and try.  Worst case is that he didn't enjoy it and I would have a meal to try and perfect time and time again.  Well, I have another problem:  I don't trust a single recipe when trying something new.  For whatever reason, I consult multiple recipes and combine the concepts I like, flavors I think we would enjoy best and then I consult my Momma for her opinion.  I know. I realize that I am not normal and I need to relinquish a bit of control, but I'm not there yet!  In the end I have no regrets- Jeremy LOVED it. Like I mentioned, the recipe I am sharing with you isn't just a single recipe, it is what I did- so enjoy!

If you are using frozen chicken breast, begin thawing 3 chicken breast early in the day.  Once they are thawed, slice them in half so you have 6 thin chicken breasts.  In a small bowl, whisk together 2 eggs and pour over the 6 sliced chicken breasts that have been placed in a ziploc bag.  Season your chicken to your liking with pepper, chopped onion, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, thyme, oregano, and basil.  Mix together and place your bag in the refrigerater until about an hour before dinner.


An hour before your desired time to eat, heat a saucepan over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp of minced garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes.  Stir together and add a 28 ounce can of pulsed and pureed tomatoes.  I added 1/4 c of fat free half and half and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. 

While the sauce is cooking, fill another ziploc bag with 1/2 c bread crumbs,  1/2 c of parmesan cheese and about 1/4 tsp of freshly ground pepper, mixing all together.  Place each piece of chicken in the bag and cover completely with the bread crumb mixture.

Using 2 large skillets over medium-high heat, swirl in about 2 tbsp olive oil into each pan to coat it.  Add the chicken breasts in one layer and cook until they are golden.


Turn the chicken half way to make sure that both sides cook evenly.


Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Spoon your tomato sauce into a greased 9 x13 pan, covering the bottom of the dish.  Layer the chicken pieces on top of the sauce.


Slice mozarella cheese about 1/2 inch thick and place on top of each of the chicken breasts.


Spoon 1 1/4 c more tomato sauce onto the cheese and sprinkle 1/4 c parmesan cheese on top of the remaining sauce.  Bake until golden and bubbling- about 30 minutes.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment