Friday, July 1, 2011

Raspberry Cobbler

I love fresh fruit.  Now that it is summer, I enjoy the vibrant colors and refreshing tastes.  On my last shopping trip, I filled my cart with a TON of fruits and vegetables- one of which was raspberries.  This morning our whole family was home- it was Daddy's day off of work, so I thought it would be a nice treat to try a cobbler for breakfast and save the leftovers for a late summer evening dessert!

I began by washing my raspberries-  I used about 4 cups.


Once clean, I placed them into a saucepan and began cooking them on medium heat.


I immediately added more ingredients to the pan- 1 c sugar, 4 tbsp flour, 2 tbsp lemon juice and 3 tsp cinnamon.  Continually stir to keep the berries from burning.


Because the raspberries are tart, I added 1/2 c packed brown sugar and a few dashes of nutmeg and cloves to add a sweeter taste. 


Stir together and lower the heat to low-med and allow the sauce to begin to boil.


Pour the berry mixture into a 4 quart dish or like I did, two 2 quart dishes.


At this time we make our cobbler crust.  In a bowl, combine 2 c flour, 1/2 c sugar and 2 tsp baking powder.  Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/2 c butter (butter should already be cut into small pieces).  Once the butter is cut into the flour mixture, add 2/3 c heavy whipping cream and stir until a stiff dough forms.  

Turn the dough onto a floured surface and form into a ball.


To kick up the flavor of our cobbler crust, I mixed together in a small bowl- 1 c brown sugar, 1 c oats and 2 tsp of cloves. 


It is now time to top our berries.  Tear pieces of the dough apart and place on top of the berry mixture, placing evening throughout.  


Now sprinkle the brown sugar and oats on top of the dough.


Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, until the topping is golden and the berries are bubbling.

My Braydon was eager to watch it bake!


Let it cool to room temperature and serve.


Enjoy your comfort food!


I had to share this picture- while I was serving our breakfast, Cole was watching a cooking show- gotta love his interest and passion for food at such a young age!

No comments:

Post a Comment