Monday, July 2, 2012

Leek Chicken Stock with Noodles and Bagel Garlic Bread

Leek Chicken Stock with Noodles
Bagel Garlic Bread

For the past 8 months our family has done everything on a very strategic budget- pretty simple: if you don't have the cash to buy the item, don't buy it!  That being said, I shop once a month- yes only once, and when the groceries are up, they are up!  I obviously don't have my family go hungry, but creativity and planning is huge.  I make a little extra for the hubby's lunch the next day and the final week of the month, I often feel like I am on those cooking shows that have the mystery baskets that you have to create meals from- I honestly love the challenge and my hubby and kids typically enjoy those meals the best!

Well, today I woke with a sore throat and thought to make chicken soup, regardless of the fact that it is July in Southern California- comfort food is still comfort food when you don't feel well!  This week is our families final week of groceries before going shopping again and I didn't have a lot of the ingredients I would use to typically make my chicken noodle soup, so instead I made this version tonight, adapting to what I did have-

Boil a pot of water for your noodles, in another pot heat 64 ounces of chicken stock (enough so that this meal turns into the hubby's lunch for tomorrow as well), and in a fry pan heat the pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil.  I had 2 cups of chopped leak that I browned in my fry pan, I then added 3 tbsp minced garlic, sprinkled in 2 tbsp parsley and 1/2 tbsp thyme.  I added a bit of red pepper as well as black pepper to season.  Once all these flavors were incorporated I chopped a chicken breast into bite size cubes and added it to the fry pan as well.  Once all cooked I added this to my boiling chicken stock.  At this time my noodles were finishing as well- drain and also add to the stock.  I finished the soup with 1/3 c of lemon juice and mixed all together.  I lowered my heat to get started on my other part of the meal.

It is always nice to have a side of bread with soup- but as stated, my options were limited as we were closing in our month's groceries.  I had 2 plain bagels left so I slice them in half and each in half again.  I placed them on a cookie sheet and drizzled olive oil over the tops and added garlic powder, parmesan and parsley.  I baked these for 5 minutes at 350 degrees and then turned my oven to broil for 3 minutes to make the tops crispy. 

Serve your soup and bread and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment