Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lemon Bread


Lemon Bread

A rare occasion in our house today ... Braydon cuddled up on my lap and grabbed a blanket to cuddle and within 5 minutes he was sound asleep- not only does he typically not nap- but he hardly ever initiates the process!!  While Braydon slept, I asked if Cole wanted to help me bake.  Since he has started preschool, we have very little "Mommy-Cole" time, so I was looking forward to our time.  

While I prepped some ingredients, Cole began to write the recipe down- so, so cute!


Naturally, when I have lemons on hand I bake sweet desserts like lemon meringue pie or lemon bars- today we went for a bread and it was super yummy!!

Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare a loaf pan and set it aside.

Before starting this process, Cole helped me grate lemons for our zest and we juiced the lemons to help the rest of our baking go without interruption.  

In a bowl, stir together 2 1/4 c flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda and a pinch of salt.

In another bowl, whisk together 1/2 c sour cream, 1/2 c milk, and 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice.    I assumed I had sour cream on hand and found I had cream cheese instead.  To substitute for my lacking ingredient, I used 3 ounces of cream cheese with 1 1/2 tbsp of milk and I whisked it- creating a sour cream substitute, it worked great!!

In your mixer, beat together 1/2 c butter, 1 c sugar and 2 tbsp lemon zest until it becomes fluffy and light.   Add 2 eggs- separately beating to make sure they are well incorporated.  

On a low speed, add the flour mixture in 2 additions alternating with the sour cream mixture in 2 additions.  At this point your batter is done!  I was going to add poppy seeds, but opted not to- I think I prefer the pure, tart lemon flavor!

Bake for about an hour and let cool- serve warm!  

No comments:

Post a Comment