Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chopped Vegetable Lasagna

Chopped Vegetable Lasagna

Last night I was looking for a dinner that wouldn't take too long to prepare, but would be full of flavor- I settled on lasagna.  I had a few different cheeses and vegetables to work with so I got busy.

In a large pot I warmed olive oil over the stove and added about a cup each of chopped onions, chopped celery and chopped carrots.  To add flavor to the sauteed vegetables I added a tbsp of minced garlic, a few dashes of pepper, a tsp of red pepper and let the vegetables cook until they were soft.  I then added a can of tomato sauce, 1 1/2 c of chicken stock, a cup of red wine and 2 tbsp of parsley, stirring together and let cook on a medium simmer.  After all my flavors were well incorporated, I removed the sauce from the stove and coated a 9 x 13 pan with just enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan.


I am a huge fan of Trader Joe's no boil lasagna noodles as they take away the boiling step- I covered my sauce with a single layer of noodles ...


then I added more sauce, followed by ricotta cheese in heaping spoonfuls over the second layer of sauce.


Repeat by topping your cheese with more noodles and sauce.  I love provolone cheese, so I added a layer of provolone to the top of my third level of noodles and sauce.


Finish by layering the noodles and sauce again. 


To have a bit of melted cheese on my baked dish, I added 3 more slices of provolone to the top.


Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  Let cool and serve.  
The chopped vegetables will give great added texture and flavor to your traditional cheesy lasagna!! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment