Monday, August 8, 2011

Spicy and Tangy Tomato Sauce

Spicy and Tangy Tomato Sauce

I haven't blogged a recipe in a while.  Summer evenings have our family at the pool, out with friends and enjoying nights in our backyard while our boys play around us.  We obviously still eat dinner every night, but they typically aren't new recipes that I haven't already shared.  I am also guilty of making what is familiar, rather than venturing out to be creative in the kitchen.  Let's be honest, summer days in California are HOT and don't really cause for an invitation to have your oven on ALL day long.  My Mom shared a recipe with me the other day that looked yummy, but it was for the crock pot.  I didn't want to be stuck in the house with a crock pot on all day cooking us and the food, SO I altered it a bit and it was super yummy.

If you are up for using the crock pot follow the same instructions, but leave to cook for 10-15 hours on low.  Ideally, the longer the sauce simmers, the more flavorful the sauce will be.

As I mentioned, I opted to cook on top of the stove in my dutch oven- a large pot will also work.  

To begin, pour about 1/4 c olive oil in your pot with 1 c chopped onions.  Add 1 tsp minced garlic, and season with 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, a dash of salt, 1 tsp pepper and 1 tsp cinnamon.  Stir together and let it all simmer together for about 15 minutes.  

In your pot, place 10 roma plum tomatoes- peeled, seeded and crushed.  If you don't have fresh tomatoes you can use 2 cans of tomato sauce.  Stir the tomatoes into your seasoning and lower your heat.  I added a few bay leaves to the sauce as well for additional flavor.  Allow the sauce to simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.  

Boil noodles to pour your sauce over and serve.  If you plate your sauce with the bay leaves, be sure to enjoy them for their visual appearance, but do NOT eat them!

Our family loved this spicy and tangy take on a classic marinara sauce- the cayenne pepper gives it a kick and the cinnamon adds a tangy sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment