Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sour Cream Free Coffee Cake

Our family loves coffee cake, its a classic sweet bread that always seems to hit the spot.  It had been a while since I had made some in our home and I had a few of my girlfriends over with their kids, so I thought it would be a nice treat to nibble on while our kiddos played.  I got all my ingredients prepped and realized I had no sour cream, ah!!  Well, that threw me.  I am sure I am not alone, but once something is on your mind- especially food, its hard to go a different route until that craving is satisfied.  This was no exception, so the adaption began to making a coffee cake without sour cream.  By not using sour cream, the coffee cake was a bit more dense bread, but JUST as tasty!

Here is what I did ...

Cream 2 sticks of butter with a beater until the butter becomes whipped.  Add 3 c of flour, 2 c brown sugar, 3 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of salt.  Mix these dry ingredients with the butter until well incorporated.  Set aside 1 c of this mixture in a small bowl for a bit later.

With the remaining mixture, add 2 eggs and 1 c milk.  Using your mixer, continue to mix all the ingredients until your batter is formed.

Oil a bundt pan well and fill the pan evenly with your batter.  Top your batter with the remaining dry mixture that was previously set aside.  Once evenly sprinkled on top, place in your oven to bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.

Let it cool for a few moments before turning it out to cool.  Slice and serve! 

I thought to blog this particular recipe after I had a few requests for the recipe; however, today our coffee cake was finished- leaving nothing to photograph!  Enjoy with your family, serve with your friends or enjoy ALL alone!

6 comments:

  1. I think you forgot to add the coffee in the COFFEE cake recipe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee Cake isn't made with Coffee. School Son!

      Delete
  2. Coffee cake is served WITH coffee, I haven't seen very many coffee cake recipes with actual coffee in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffee cake is my breakfast craving, but I never seem to have enough sour cream or any at all when I make it so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how long do you think it should cook in a 9 by 9 ceramic pan i do not have a bunt pan on hand

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be making this cake in a few minutes. Thank you for posting!!

    ReplyDelete